Are you still on the process of choosing the best grain storage solution? The challenging part of this decision making is the fact that there are a variety of storage solutions and finding the best one depends on many factors. What are they? First of all you, have to factor in the climate, then, available funds, the deadline of completion as well as types of grain needing storage. If you have been given the two-grain storage solutions the grain bunkers and grain silos, which fits your requirements. For your convenience, I have compiled valuable information that will help you come up with a wise decision. So, let’s dig into these facts and be well informed.
What are Grain Bunkers?
Grain bunkers are becoming well sought after nowadays in the agriculture industry because of the cost-effectiveness in constructing them. Apart from that the flexibility of grain bunkers to be moved from one site to another make them more adaptable to any grain storage system. Grain bunkers are replacing the traditional towering silos because of their impressive storage capacity. Imagine grain bunkers can store as much of 12,000 tons of grain while grain silos maximum load of grain is only 6,000 tons.
Benefits of Grain Bunkers
- Quicker installation process. The grain bunkers frame is composed of angled iron walls with steel for support. The flooring is generally covered with durable plastic sheet and grain is covered with tightly sealed tarpaulin to ensure no pest or undesirable weather condition will cause damage to the grains.
- Grain bunkers covering are made from high strength tarpaulin that has features of water resistant and UV protected against harmful rays of the sun.
- The material composition of grain bunkers is extremely light, thereby allowing farmers and grain handlers ease on transport from one site to another.
- Can be ordered per piece or more (60,000 s/f).
- The covers are either delivered in rolls or folded.
What are Grain Silos?
Grain silos are the oldest structures of storing grain or other fermented feeds called “silage”. The Silos are designed also to store huge volume of grain including other products like coal, cement, food and sawdust. When storing grains inside the silos handlers or farm workers have need vertical elevators to help them fill the structures. Other farmers use blower systems to help them store grains, but, this method is only applicable to storing grains for livestock. The visual appearance of grain silos is a towering vessel with a cylindrical shape. Its design can withstand any amount of pressure while grain is being filled inside the container.
Benefits of Grain Silos
- Can be installed even on a limited area, which it economical if you are to compute the money saved on ground space.
- More control of handling because the storage of grain is focused on one location. This assures farmers and handlers the proper storage of grain in an environment free from pests while retaining the desired temperature setting. Airtight seal is guaranteed with grain silos, so the issue of fumigation is completely controlled.
- Grain silos expected service life is approximately 25 years and over if properly built and maintained.
Which is a better grain storage solution?
It all depends on each farmer or handler grain storage requirement. For example, if you just need a temporary storage solution that is affordable and effective in preserving the quality of grain, then, the best storage is the grain bunker.
If still undecided which grain storage is the perfect fit for the effective handling of your agriculture grains, then, inquire at Polytex and get solid advice when having to choose between grain bunkers or grain silos.
Call us at Polytex for all your grain storage needs!!