Are you planning to build numerous shade structures for your livestock business? The Livestock shade structures main purpose is to provide the needed shade and covering of farm animals like cows during summer. Let me give you further enlightenment on livestock shade, types of livestock shade available in the market including other concerns that will affect your final decision on what particular livestock shade structure will you build.
What is a livestock shade structure?
Livestock shade structures may come in the form of a permanent or portable unit. Its design is to provide enough shading for all kinds of livestock animals, particularly those that are left on pasture areas. The material component of this type of structure is either from wood or steel pipe and supported by a fabric cloth (polypropylene) which can offer approximately 80 percent of shading.
As mentioned, the livestock shade structures can be built either permanent structure or portable (can be moved around). The portable structure is becoming popular because it is less expensive and can be relocated where the cattle and other animals are grazing. The average size of portable livestock shade structures is around 25 feet by 42 feet.
The type of fabric material used depends on the amount of shading needed as well as the type of type of animal concerned. If you don’t have a clear idea of the best-recommended fabric material that will offer maximum shading for your livestock, better consult an expert with relevant experience in the construction of livestock shade structures.
What to consider before building the livestock shade structures?
There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to building shade structures for your livestock and mostly include the following:
- The preferred site where you plan to install a livestock shade structure must have proper drainage.
- It would be appropriate to choose a location which is at least 200 feet away from any water source.
- The site where you plan to construct a livestock shade structure must be at least 300 feet from a down-gradient well.
- Lastly, the site where the livestock structure will stand must not be nearer to any building or structure because the flow of air may be obstructed. If possible build the livestock shade structures at least 50 feet away.
- The distance to water source, mineral including the livestock shade structure itself must be carefully planned during the designing phase.
- When positioning the long axis of the shade structure it should be at the north-to-south direction to ensure the area is kept dry. In case the shade structure is designed to contain the animals under its shade, then, position the long axis to the east-to-west.
How to prolong the service life of livestock shade structures?
If properly designed and constructed from top quality materials livestock shade structures can offer longer years of service. However, the fabric material used as shading can deteriorate over time due to continuous exposure to extreme weather conditions and may require replacement. You could extend the service life of the fabric material by storing it properly when not in use.
If you want to succeed with the construction of your livestock shade structures talk to any of the experts at Polytex and be guided on the design and the recommended fabric materials suited.